Otoplasty (Ear Surgery) Specialist for Men in Bay Area, Los Gatos CA
Cosmetic ear surgery is also referred to as otoplasty. It is a process to alter the ear’s size, position, or shape. If the size of your ears bothers you, you might decide to have otoplasty surgery. Patients in the Bay Area who want to have their ears pinned back can visit Dr. Eric Li, a plastic surgeon in Los Gatos, California, for otoplasty (ear surgery). For more information, contact us or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 555 Knowles Drive, Suite 218 Los Gatos, CA 95032. We serve clients from Los Gatos CA, Campbell CA, Saratoga CA, Cupertino CA, San Jose CA, Mountain View CA, and surrounding areas.
While ears come in all size and shapes, ears that are larger or more prominent can sometimes be a source of aesthetic concern and social embarrassment, especially in children. Fortunately, there are various techniques to modify ear size and shape so that they are more harmonious with the face. At the time of your consultation, Dr. Li will analyze you or your child’s ear in detail and discuss whether Ear Surgery (Otoplasty) is a good option for you or your child.
Ear surgery usually involves incisions hidden behind the ear, which allows access to the cartilage. The ear cartilage can then be reshaped by removing it, scoring it, or using sutures to contour it. The ear may also be brought closer to the head to further decrease its projection.
WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE SURGERY
- You will be evaluated by Dr. Li at the time of your initial consultation to determine if Ear Surgery is the best option for you
- You will be required to quit smoking and oral contraceptives 4 weeks before surgery
- You will need to complete testing before surgery, which may include a physical with your PCP/primary physician, blood work, and an ECG
- Prescriptions for your surgery will be sent to your local pharmacy, please obtain these medications ahead of time and bring them to your surgery
- A deposit is required to secure your surgery date
- Full payment is required 2 weeks before surgery; payment options include cash, cashier’s check, or credit through Alphaeon or CareCredit
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER SURGERY
- General anesthesia can sometimes cause generalized body soreness and fatigue for a couple of days
- Maximum discomfort will occur in the first few days after surgery and gradually improve
- You will not be allowed to engage in any significant exercise (e.g. running, lifting weights) for 3 weeks
- You will wear an ear-band after surgery for 2 weeks
- You may experience temporary bruising, swelling, numbness, or a burning sensation involving your ears; bruising and swelling takes several weeks to improve; numbness takes a couple months to normalize
- Scars may be red and firm for approximately 6 months before they soften and fade