Breast Reduction Specialist in Bay Area, Los Gatos CA
In order to achieve a smaller, more proportionate bust size, breast reduction surgery involves removing skin and tissue from the breast and then reshaping and elevating the breast. For women who desire a breast appearance that is attractive and more proportionate, plastic surgeon Dr. Eric Li provides breast reduction surgery. For more information, contact us or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 555 Knowles Drive, Suite 218 Los Gatos, CA 95032. We serve clients from Los Gatos CA, Campbell CA, Saratoga CA, Cupertino CA, San Jose CA, Mountain View CA, and surrounding areas.
Table of Contents:
Patients with large breasts can experience chronic neck/back pain, shoulder grooving, and/or chronic skin irritation underneath the breasts. Large breasts also sag and stretch over time, due to the weight of the tissues. Breast reduction surgery is therefore a great opportunity to improve the shape of the breasts as well as relieve unpleasant heavy breast symptoms. At the time of your consultation, Dr. Li will analyze your breasts in detail and discuss whether Breast Reduction Surgery is a good option for you.
Based on the amount of breast skin and tissue present, Dr. Li may perform different types of reductions. In patients with excess breast tissue but good skin tone, liposuction alone can sometimes be performed. When a smaller breast reduction is desired, a vertical technique may be used, resulting in scars around the areola and along the vertical aspect of the breast (“lollipop scar”). However, when a larger breast reduction is desired, an anchor technique resulting in inverted T-shaped scars is most versatile and can both reduce large amounts of breast tissue and aesthetically reshape the breast.
No patient is alike, and no two breasts are alike. As such, my technique for breast reduction varies depending on the anatomy as well as the expressed goals/expectations of each patient. In general, the larger the breast reduction desired, the more scarring that is required because it is necessary to remove excess skin in different dimensions to achieve a smooth appearance to the breast after surgery.
It really depends on your insurance plan, your documented symptoms, and the amount of breast tissue that you have. Having your breast reduction done through insurance will place stricter guidelines on how much breast tissue that needs to be removed to qualify as an insured procedure. This may or may not always align with your aesthetic goals.
Breast reduction is perhaps my favourite surgery to perform. The meticulous planning, technical execution of surgery, and opportunity to create excellence in form, shape, and symmetry in the breasts is a challenge I readily accept and excel in. I have written numerous book chapters on breast reduction and use my expertise in aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery to deliver the best outcomes to my patients.
SURGERY UNDER GENERAL ANESTHETIC
GO HOME THE SAME DAY (DAY SURGERY)
RETURN TO NORMAL ACTIVITIES WITHIN 2 WEEKS
RESTORE FULL, PERKY, AND YOUTHFUL BREASTS
REMOVE EXCESS SKIN AND BREAST TISSUE
RESHAPE AND RESIZE YOUR BREASTS TO MATCH YOUR FRAME AND LIFESTYLE
REDUCE NECK, BACK, AND SHOULDER DISCOMFORT
HAVE LESS LIMITATIONS IN PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND CLOTHES
WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE SURGERY
- You will be evaluated by Dr. Li at the time of your initial consultation to determine if Breast Reduction Surgery is the best option for you
- You will be required to quit smoking and oral contraceptives 4 weeks before surgery
- You will need to complete testing before surgery, which may include a physical with your PCP/primary physician, blood work, and an ECG
- Prescriptions for your surgery will be sent to your local pharmacy, please obtain these medications ahead of time and bring them to your surgery
- A deposit is required to secure your surgery date
- Full payment is required 2 weeks before surgery; payment options include cash, cashier’s check, or credit through Alphaeon or CareCredit
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER SURGERY
- General anesthesia can sometimes cause generalized body soreness and fatigue for a couple of days
- Maximum discomfort will occur in the first few days after surgery and gradually improve
- You will not be allowed to lift more than 10lbs for 4 weeks as a safety precaution
- You will be provided a bra and compression garment to wear; it is recommended that you wear this for 6 weeks to help shape your breasts and minimize swelling
- You may have drains after surgery and you will be given instructions on how to care of them
- You may experience temporary bruising, swelling, numbness, or a burning sensation involving your breasts and over areas you had liposuction; bruising and swelling takes several weeks to improve; numbness takes a couple months to normalize
- Scars may be red and firm for approximately 6 months before they soften and fade