Male Breast Reduction Surgery Specialist in Bay Area, Los Gatos CA
Surgery for male breast reduction eliminates troublesome glandular tissue as well as extra chest fat. People decide for this operation to enhance their appearance and boost their self-esteem. Dr. Eric Li is an expert in male breast reduction surgery at CA Aesthetics. For more information, contact us or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 555 Knowles Drive, Suite 218 Los Gatos, CA 95032. We serve clients from Los Gatos CA, Campbell CA, Saratoga CA, Cupertino CA, San Jose CA, Mountain View CA, and surrounding areas.
Table of Contents:
Gynecomastia is a condition in which abnormal breast tissue develops in the male chest. It can affect men of all ages, and be present in greater than half of all adult men and adolescent males. There are various causes of this condition, including alterations in hormone levels during puberty, obesity, exposure to medications and anabolic steroids, and/or medical conditions affecting the thyroid, pituitary gland, kidney, liver, or testicles. At the time of your consultation, Dr. Li will analyze your chest in detail and discuss whether Male Breast Reduction Surgery is a good option for you.
In most situations, surgery for gynecomastia involves incisions hidden underneath the areola, through which targeted VASER-assisted liposuction is performed on the chest and its boundaries to restore masculine shape and contours. VASER is an ultrasound technology which helps melt fat and tighten skin and is particularly helpful because the male chest features denser and more fibrous fat. After liposuction is performed, leftover glandular tissue is removed. Sometimes, especially in large or longstanding gynecomastia, additional surgery may be needed to remove excess skin involving the chest.
Male Breast Reduction Surgery is also known as Gynecomastia Correction Surgery.
Gynecomastia can develop for a variety of reasons. In adolescence, alerations in hormone levels can trigger abnormal breast development. 50% of the time it goes away, 50% of the time it does not and it persists into adulthood. Exposure to certain medications (e.g. testosterine, marijuana) can also cause gynecomastia. Later on in life, obesity is the main culprit, because excess fat can also cause alterations in hormone levels.
In general, my technique involves first performing targeted liposuction of your chest to remove the fatty tissue of the gynecomastia. This must be carefully done to preserve fullness in the top part of your chest. I also perform liposuction in the areas surrounding your chest to better highlight your muscles. An incision is then made underneath the areola, through which remaining glandular tissue is removed. The placement of this incision along the border of your areola allows me to hide the scar for you.
Once gynecomastia has developed and has been present for a period of time, it is very difficult to eliminate entirely without surgery. This is because gynecomastia is usually a combination of fatty tissue and glandular tissue. While weight loss can reduce the amount of fatty tissue present, the glandular tissue usually remains stable. Also, if your gynecomastia is significant, you may have also developed some excess skin involving your chest, which may need to be contoured/tightened as an added step during surgery.
I have significant expertise in gynecomastia surgery and have authored a textbook chapter on the subject, teaching others how to perform the procedure for best results. There are other nuances in the way I perform this procedure that are unique to me, and I’m happy to share them with you at the time of your consultation.
SURGERY UNDER GENERAL ANESTHETIC
GO HOME THE SAME DAY (DAY SURGERY)
RETURN TO NORMAL ACTIVITIES WITHIN 4 WEEKS
PERMANENT CORRECTION OF GYNECOMASTIA
TARGETED LIPOSUCTION TO REMOVE EXCESS FAT
RESTORE MASCULINE CHEST SHAPE AND CONTOURS
ADD FAT GRAFTING TO AUGMENT MUSCLE DEFINITION & VOLUME
BOOST YOUR SELF-ESTEEM, BE SHIRTLESS WITH CONFIDENCE
WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE SURGERY
- You will be evaluated by Dr. Li at the time of your initial consultation to determine if Male Breast Reduction Surgery (Gynecomastia Surgery) is the best option for you
- You will be required to quit smoking and oral contraceptives 4 weeks before surgery
- You will need to complete testing before surgery, which may include a physical with your PCP/primary physician, blood work, and an ECG
- Prescriptions for your surgery will be sent to your local pharmacy, please obtain these medications ahead of time and bring them to your surgery
- A deposit is required to secure your surgery date
- Full payment is required 2 weeks before surgery; payment options include cash, cashier’s check, or credit through Alphaeon or CareCredit
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER SURGERY
- General anesthesia can sometimes cause generalized body soreness and fatigue for a couple of days
- Maximum discomfort will occur in the first few days after surgery and gradually improve
- You will not be allowed to lift more than 10lbs for 4 weeks as a safety precaution
- You will be provided a compression vest to wear; it is recommended that you wear this for 6 weeks to help shape your chest and minimize swelling
- You may experience temporary bruising, swelling, numbness, or a burning sensation involving your chest; bruising and swelling takes several weeks to improve; numbness takes a couple months to normalize
- Scars may be red and firm for approximately 6 months before they soften and fade